Sunday, May 10, 2009

narrowing down

In the first post of my blog I wrote I wanted to find out what makes me collect? How do I make my collection. How do I want to get form a bunch of works of art to a collection.

My huge problem is, there is so much art. So I need guide lines for myself to restrict that amount I choose from.

In a previous post I mentioned my abcde list:
All the artists I have work from or a I am interested in are on one of these lists.

A stands for: I will buy every year
E stands for: You're on my list most probably because I once bought a piece of art from you. But it's unlikely it will happen again.
You can think out the other lists for yourself.

Who is on which list I keep for myself, although two artists will be revealed in this post if you read carefully.
The amount of artists on my lists are as follows
A: 2 & 0
B: 6 & 1
C: 9 & 0
D:15 & 5 undecided 1
E: 7 & 9

Sum 39 & 15 & 1

I made a simple split up in male and female artists. The female are on the left, the makes on the right. It's easy to see that I prefer the women.
Why do I prefer female artists? I don't know. It doesn't really matter.

5 minutes ago I made a decision.

I decided from now on I only collect female artists. For the current collection and the old artists on my watch list it doesn't really matter. Most of them were women. For seeking new artists it makes live much easier. 50% of the artists I can walk past without needing to remember them or to look for their website or make queries about them.

In the previous post about my decision time. In Category 10 there were 4 photographs from a male artist. They're not any more.

As for now I keep one exception. Matijs van de Kerkhof stays on my watch list. As I make the rules I can break them whenever I like :-)

The undecided artist is a duo. They also stay on my list. Check out their website. They create their own views on the world of today.
http://www.exactitudes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment