Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My second Art collection

Collecting art should be more than buying a bunch of works of art.

The question is: what defines "more" ?

Of course I do have my own taste in art. And all the works I collected are a reflection of my taste. But I want my collection to be more than an bunch of works of art representng my taste. I want my collection to represent the time I live in. Better the development in art of the time I live in.

That's why I am collecting in two fields of art: Collecting artists and collecting art.

I've been trying to find out which artists I'm collecting. So I made a list. Every artist I have a work of art from and every artist I'm interested in is on that list. There are now 54 names on that list.
Within the list I made groups. Group A to group E. I'm more likely to buy art from someone in teh A-group than the E- group.

To get high on the list the artist must make: likable, available and affordable work.
There are 42 artists in my collection: divided as:
A: 2, B: 4, C: 6, D: 15, E: 15

There are 12 artists on my watch list: divided as:
A; 0, B: 3, C:1, D: 7, E, 1.


So what do A to E stand for. I'm actually not sure. The outer groups A and E are the easiest to distinguish how I'm going to act towards them. From these two groups I've been working to the other groups.

Group A: I really like your work and think you have great potential. I will buy art from you at least every year.
Group B: I'm closely watching you, if possible I buy art from you.
Group C: I like your work but luck or good marketing must help to buy art from you.
Group D: I like your work, I try to watch you , but don't expect anything.
Group E: You're on my list most probably because I once bought a piece of at from you. But it's unlikely it will happen again.

Marijan Gluhak is in my E-group. I own several pictures from him. One is shown at the right. I still like his pictures. But his availability is low. I met him in Dubrovnik (Croatia) on my holiday and that was probably the last time I have ever seen him.

Please be aware these groups are the means to structure my thoughts about artists. I first liked or bought the artist. Later on I made the groups and connected my actions to them.

There is another thing: I do not limit my buying to these artists, if I really like a work of art. I buy it and will add artist 55 to my list.
The huge amount of artists in my D and E-group shows that has happened many times in the last years.

That's why I seem to have two art collections. My first following the artists and my second following my guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment