Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My First art collection Foam

Most readers know that I'm the student in an art collector's course.
This Saturday we went to FOAM (Photography Museum Amsterdam).

In there Willem Diepraam, a well-known Photographer, photo critic and licensed assessor for photographs showea part of his collection and told us whatever he found useful to know for starting photo collectors.

I remembered and will remember two things from his "speech".
1. The photo market is a buyer's market. Don't rush. There are so many photographs you can always buy good ones. I think this applies to the complete contemporary art world. There is so much art you can choose from you will always find something you like. So don't rush, tomorrow there is art too.

2. Do your homework. He explicitly recommended to "History of Photography" books I cannot remember. I started to collect books about fashion photography. It appears that I like the autonomous works from fashion photographers. So I bought a book with an overview of Duth fashion photography.

I will buy a book from Helmut Newton. He paved the path for many photographers after him.
From one of the I bought two large pictures. These ar from the series "Anonymous"
It shows nude female models in a position like they are sturdy men and with their face covered in such way they represent an action-hero and stay anonymous.

I bought these two pictures from Liselotte Schuppers.
Without Helmut Newton, she couldn't have made what she did. But we can enjoin.

I bought these whith size 120 x 80 cm which make them real impressive.



1 comment:

  1. i think you got 2 very good works .i understend your facinion for colect art , but let me give you a friedly adivice : trie to just get works that means some very strong for you ,or in few years, you going to have a house with lots and lots of junk works that some curator or galerist or critic conviced you to buy.and than you going to feel realy realy empty ,and fool .
    i am saying this because i have seen this many times all those years that i work with it. there a collectors that started to hate art after 10 or 20 years buying a lot.
    sure that i dont know you, or your taste , and dont have the right to say ; do this or do that... i am happy for your entusiasm .i am just trieing to show something that hapens all over the world today.
    well , cogratulations for the photografys.

    ReplyDelete